Senate Republicans Just Dealt Trump A Brutal Snub Over His Infamous White House Project

Written by Published

President Donald Trumps long-anticipated plan for a new White House ballroom has run into a serious setback on Capitol Hill.

According to Western Journal, Senate Republicans have decided not to include in their immigration enforcement funding bill a $1 billion Secret Service request that would have helped finance the project, effectively sidelining the proposal for now. Republican Sen. John Kennedy of Louisiana disclosed the development to reporters after a GOP lunch, signaling that the idea has lost momentum among lawmakers who otherwise back the president on border security and law-and-order priorities.

We were told that the ballroom money is out, Kennedy said, a blunt confirmation that the funding push has stalled despite months of discussion and behind-the-scenes maneuvering. For nearly a year, Trumps ballroom odyssey has featured many twists and turns, reflecting both his personal interest in the project and the political crosscurrents surrounding it.

Initially, Trump insisted the ballroom would rely solely on private donations, a stance consistent with conservative skepticism toward new taxpayer spending on nonessential federal construction. On Aug. 2, 2025, conservative activist Charlie Kirk just one month and eight days before his assassination posted a seven-second clip of Trump to the social media platform X that underscored the presidents willingness to shoulder the cost himself.

How many donors do you think its gonna take to get to $200 million? a reporter asked in the video. Maybe one, the president replied. Me.

Hes one of one and there will never be another, Kirk wrote in praise of Trump, capturing the admiration many on the right felt for a president who often pledged to put his own resources on the line. Then, several days after Kirks murder, Trump took questions from reporters and linked his personal loss to a renewed sense of purpose at the White House.

My condolences on the loss of your friend Charlie Kirk, a reporter said in another clip posted to X. Can I ask, Sir, how are you holding up over the last three-and-a-half days?

I think very good, the president replied. And by the way, right there, you see all the trucks. They just started construction of the new ballroom for the White House.

Some conservatives urged Trump to name the ballroom after Kirk, viewing it as a fitting tribute to a young activist who had become a prominent voice for limited government and America First policies. Meanwhile, Democrats drew a line in the sand, turning opposition to the ballroom into yet another symbolic test of resistance to Trump rather than engaging on substantive security or fiscal issues.

Then, in March, a federal judge ruled that even with private funding, Trump could not build the ballroom without approval from Congress, inserting the courts into what had been framed as a privately financed initiative. That decision forced the administration and its allies to seek legislative backing, complicating a project that many conservatives saw as a matter of executive discretion and donor freedom.

The president and his supporters mounted a renewed push for the ballroom following last months assassination attempt at the White House Correspondents Association dinner in Washington, D.C., arguing that enhanced facilities could bolster security and hosting capabilities. GOP senators, however, remain reluctant, wary of the optics of a large-scale construction project amid ongoing fights over spending, immigration, and national priorities.

Moreover, Trumps decision to endorse Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton over Sen. John Cornyn in the Lone Star States Republican primary runoff next week has irritated some Senate Republicans, according to Politico, further straining relations at a moment when he needed their support. Over the weekend, Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough also ruled that the ballroom funding provision violated Senate rules, giving skeptics a procedural basis to block it.

That ruling prompted Trump to target the parliamentarian on social media, questioning why a longtime official perceived as unfavorable to conservatives remained in such a powerful gatekeeping role. Over the years, she has been brutal to Republicans, but not so to the Dumbocrats So why has she not been replaced? the president wrote of MacDonough. There are many fair people who would be qualified for that vital job.

Senate Majority Leader John Thune of South Dakota objected to Trumps post, framing it as a security concern rather than addressing the underlying complaint about institutional bias. Obviously, its concerning when anybody gets targeted like that. But its, I guess, his opinion, Thune said Wednesday, according to The Hill. Well make sure everybodys got security around here.

Trump has not yet responded publicly to the news that Senate Republicans will not fund the ballroom, but those senators, according to Politico, expect to incur the presidents wrath as he continues to challenge the partys Washington establishment. For now, the ballroom stands as a symbol of a broader struggle inside the GOP between a populist base that backs Trumps agenda and a Senate conference still cautious about crossing procedural norms, media narratives, and internal power brokers.